Love Bites


Boy, critics are harsh, and in the case of NBC's "Love Bites," a show that was hamstrung by a star's pregnancy, showrunner issues and scheduling shuffles, I really enjoyed the premiere last night.
Most if not all network TV makes me crazy with it's formulaic beats to accommodate commercials, lazy reality offerings and stale procedural rehashes, and don't even get me started on sitcoms.
But NBC has some good "laffers." I like my comedy on the dark edges of good taste: "Louie," "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," "Archer," "Eastbound & Down," the ruder the better. I even miss FX's "Testees."
And last night's NBC effort, dubbed a "summer burn off" by EW and the like, was a fun watch!
The show featured Krysten Ritter, Becki Newton, and Kyle Howard and Lindsay Price as an accountant and his fiancée who discovers sex toys; and especially good were Greg Grunberg as a tattoo artist who nearly joins the Mile High Club with his celebrity crush, Jennifer Love Hewitt. Hewitt was hilarious! Pamela Adlon (who is to be replaced on the series) is fantastic in everything she does. Also enjoyable was the dude chemistry between Craig Robinson and Grunberg.
Again, the show was edgier than most network sitcoms, and took some chances that I found to be amusing. What did you all think? Talk back, are the TV critics who are skewering it right? I don't think so.